American Toy Terrier – A Comprehensive Guide to the Breed’s Characteristics, Temperament, and Care
- Size – American Toy Terriers are small, weighing in around 6-14 pounds.
- Coat – These dogs have a short and dense coat that is either short or long, with a black and tan coloration.
- Head – The head is short and rounded, with a black nose and small, dark eyes.
- Ears – The ears are medium-sized and triangular in shape.
- Body – These dogs have a muscular and compact body.
- American Toy Terriers are affectionate and loyal companions, who love attention and thrive on human contact.
- They are alert and intelligent and do best when given plenty of mental and physical stimulation.
- These dogs can be stubborn and strong-willed, so patience and consistent training is necessary.
- They can be quite vocal, but they are generally friendly with strangers and other pets.
- American Toy Terrier need daily exercise to stay healthy and happy. A long walk, a romp in the yard or a game of fetch are all great activities to keep them healthy.
- They do best when fed a high-quality, low-calorie, grain-free diet.
- This breed sheds lightly and requires weekly brushing to keep their coat looking its best.
- They should also have their nails trimmed and ears cleaned on a regular basis.
- These dogs are prone to allergies, so it’s important to keep an eye out for any signs of irritation or itching.
- It’s also important to brush their teeth two to three times a week to keep them healthy.
The American Toy Terrier is an affectionate and loyal companion who loves human contact. They are alert and intelligent and require regular physical and mental stimulation. With proper care, exercise and nutrition, they can live a long and healthy life.