Training Dogs With a Harness: Advantages and Disadvantages
Training dogs with a harness has become increasingly popular in recent years, as it is seen to be a more humane approach to training your pup. It can be an effective way of training your dog, but it is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of using a harness in order to know if it is right for your pup.
- Positive Reinforcement – Training with a harness is a positive reinforcement-based approach, which rewards good behaviour and discourages bad behaviour. This means that your pup will receive treats and verbal rewards for doing something correctly, which will help them to learn quicker.
- Less Stressful – Training with a harness is seen to be a less stressful approach for both yourself and your pup. It encourages clear communication between you both, rather than relying on punishment.
- More Control – A harness gives you more control over your pooch. The leash attaches directly to the body of the dog, meaning you can guide them more easily than if they were wearing a collar.
- Incorrect Fitting – If a harness is not fitted correctly, this could cause your pup to become uncomfortable and even injure themselves. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the harness fits correctly and is not too tight or too loose.
- Difficult to Train Strong Dogs – If your pup is strong-willed and has a tendency to be difficult, then a harness may not be the most effective training tool. Instead, a prong collar or a head halter may be more appropriate.
- Can Encourage Pulling – With a harness, there is not much resistance that your pup feels against pulling. This can encourage them to pull more and become difficult to control, so it is important to use your commands to discourage it.
Overall, training dogs with a harness can be a beneficial tool if used correctly. Positive reinforcement is usually the most effective way to train your pup, and a harness provides you with more control than a collar. However, it is important to understand the disadvantages which come with a harness, as this will help to ensure that your pup remains safe and comfortable.