Training Dogs Using The Heeling Method
Training a dog well-mannered walking is essential and every owner should understand how to properly use the Heeling method. This technique works especially on larger breeds as it can help create a better connection between the pet and his owner.
Benefits of Heeling Training
- Reduces the risk of irresponsible behaviour.
- Allows the dog to follow basic commands with ease.
- Helps to build strong trust and understanding between you and your pet.
- Builds great communication between you and your pet.
- Prepares your pet for other types of behavioral training.
How to Train your Dog using the Heeling Method
- Put your dog on a leash and make sure it is secure.The leash should be secure and tight enough so that your pet is not able to roam away from you.
- Start by walking and keeping your dog in rhythm with you. If your pet is lagging behind, then gently tug on the leash and repeat the instructions.
- Teach your dog the command “heel.” Every time that the dog is following you, use the cue “heel” then reward it with treats and praise.
- When walking around corners, gently tug on the leash and use the cue “heel”, rewarding and praising your dog as he follows you.
- Continue repeating these steps with short sessions. As your dog gets better at obeying the command, he will start to anticipate your cues and follow them automatically.
Using the Heeling method is a great way to ensure that your pet is well-behaved and can interact in different settings. It is important to remember to go slowly and handle the training sessions with patience, as this will help maximize the bond between the pet and the owner.