Tips to Avoid Your Dog From Barking in the Garage
Determine the Reason for Your Dog’s Excessive Barking
Before you can begin curbing your dog’s barking, it’s important to determine what’s causing it. Most often, it’s due to anxiety or boredom. Ask yourself a few questions to determine the cause for your dog’s excessive barking.
- Is your dog in the garage by him or herself for long periods of time?
- When in the garage, is he trying to get your attention or is he barking at other noises outside?
- Does your dog bark while in the garage to get away from the confinement?
Create an Environment That’s Pawsitively Pleasant
After you’ve figured out the reason why your pup is barking, it’s time to make sure your garage is the kind of place you’d want to spend time in. Install cozy beds, lot of chew toys, extra water bowls, and any other items that will make them feel comfortable and entertained. Additionally, you can give your pup access to the outdoors, so they can “do their business” and stretch their legs while they are in the garage.
Establish a Routine
When dogs know that something comes next, such as feeding time or playing time, they’ll start to become much more relaxed and content. Start to introduce a routine that works for you and your pup into the equation. After all, it’s all about positive reinforcement.
- If you notice that your pup gets anxious when they’re in the garage, you can try giving them treats or toys to distract them.
- If you notice that your pup barks at noises outside, you can try introducing calming music. This will help to mask out excess noise and provide some comfort for your dog.
- If your pup goes in the garage in order to get away from confinement, you can try introducing playtime when you (or a trusted friend or family member) enters the garage.
In conclusion, it’s important to take the time to understand why your pup is barking in the garage, and carefully consider ways for them to be more relaxed and comfortable in the space. With some patience and dedication, you will be able to create a happier and quieter environment for everyone.